The goal is to live in a small Austrian village with my Austrian wife and our 4 yr old while learning everything about this beautiful corner of the world. We will live on the second floor of my in-law's house in a two bedroom apartment while skipping around in flowery fields like the one on "The Sound of Music". Well, maybe not the skipping part:)



The village is called Windischgarsten. Located in the lower half of Upper Austria, it is an amazingly beautiful area of the Alps known for skiing, hiking and biking. I don't have any local friends, I haven't learned the language, and I have no idea where I'll work. This could get really interesting. No problem right?







Sunday, September 12, 2010

Mushroom Hunting in the Alps

Photobucket

Austrians, or at least those in the hills, have a neat little pastime. It includes exercise, family, danger, and yes more exercise. I finally took part in this event. What is it you ask?

Mushroom hunting!!

Mushroom hunting is good for you. Expect improved fitness as you scale the 45-60% inclines bent over in your mad search. It kindly reminds me of beach glass hunting back in California, but without the beach and flat ground! It takes concentration and the ability to have fun in case you don't find any.

Yvonne and I love introducing new activities to our three year old. As it turns out kids this age love the outdoors. I promise, if you tell a child to run around in a forest, he will gladly do it. Just be cautious.

Mushrooms can be poisonous!

Austrian doctors, at this time of year, treat too many mushroom poisoned patients. The cause of the problem exists with new hunters. Some people think they can eat any wild mushroom. This is not true. Eat the wrong shroom and you're DONE. Which brings me back to the three year old. Instruct him not to pick the mushrooms.

I've been resisting the mushroom hunt for two months now. How can walking the steep hills of the Alps looking for fungus be any fun? I mean, I work and I need my rest! Yes, I'd rather sleep and eat. You all go and I'll stay home. So my wife and in-laws go out, maybe once a week, for the 3-7 hours of mushroom drama. I tell them week after week that I will stay home.

But they broke me yesterday. At least my wife, Yvonne, did.

Perhaps I was in a weakened state from the overtime hours at the factory. Who knows? In any case, I went mushroom hunting and I'm glad I did. You see, it's not about the mushrooms; it's about the hunt. Such as many things in life. Enjoy the journey. Stop and smell the roses.

So Yvonne, Noah and I jumped in the car, drove up into the mountains, and didn't come home until we had a plate of, well...mushrooms!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket





1 comment:

  1. This is AWESOME! How fun, and always good to remember to enjoy the journey as we all seem to forget that from time to time...thanks for the reminder and happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete