The goal is to live in a small Austrian village with my Austrian wife and our 4 yr old while learning everything about this beautiful corner of the world. We will live on the second floor of my in-law's house in a two bedroom apartment while skipping around in flowery fields like the one on "The Sound of Music". Well, maybe not the skipping part:)



The village is called Windischgarsten. Located in the lower half of Upper Austria, it is an amazingly beautiful area of the Alps known for skiing, hiking and biking. I don't have any local friends, I haven't learned the language, and I have no idea where I'll work. This could get really interesting. No problem right?







Saturday, September 4, 2010

Cycling the Alps

It's funny how the locals can ignore the rain. Seeing cyclists happily climb the hills in drowning downpours is not so unusual. And why not? They grew up in this stuff right?

Me, not so much.

Central and Southern California takes a break from the rain in summer. As well, rain in the autumn, winter, and spring aren't exactly notable. When it rains in Cali, we try to take a break from outdoor activities. That just wouldn't fly in the Austrian Alps.

Cyclists here must embrace the weather.

Yesterday morning I woke up wishing for some exercise. Maybe some cycling? But the clouds were dark...again! Geesh, what's new? The streets were dry though, and that means it's ok for sissy me to ride. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a little bit of rain; I just lack rain gear etc to make it enjoyable.

So I decide to ride. I can always go home if it rains. Thankfully it didn't.








No comments:

Post a Comment