The goal is to live in a small Austrian village with my Austrian wife and our 4 yr old while learning everything about this beautiful corner of the world. We will live on the second floor of my in-law's house in a two bedroom apartment while skipping around in flowery fields like the one on "The Sound of Music". Well, maybe not the skipping part:)



The village is called Windischgarsten. Located in the lower half of Upper Austria, it is an amazingly beautiful area of the Alps known for skiing, hiking and biking. I don't have any local friends, I haven't learned the language, and I have no idea where I'll work. This could get really interesting. No problem right?







Sunday, August 1, 2010

Lederhosen Festival 2010

So, there's this event that happens once a year in Austria, and coincidentaly, it takes place right here in Windischgarsten. People from around the country, and for that matter, around the continent, come to take part in it. What is this miraculous event you ask?

It's the Lederhosen Festival!!

For those of you in the dark, lederhosen are leather pants. Leder = Leather. Hosen = Pants. You can wear them with suspenders or without. It's not a dorky item to wear out here. To be honest, it's more of a cultural pride garmet, and the festival honors that. It's a celebration of the Austrian people. Think of Texas and cowboy boots. Are cowboy boots silly in Texas? No. Windischgarsten closes down the streets, people show up in their "garmets", and they drink beer...and lots of it.

But I'm a Californian. Do you really think I'd be caught dead at a Lederhosen Festival...or wear the foreign "Erkle" attire?

Yes!

Yvonne, her brother and girlfriend, Noah and myself headed into the village last night. What fun. Everyone was in a good mood and laughing. Noah had a great time too. He even managed to wrangle in a couple of blondes, his favorite of the female species.

Here are some photos and a couple of quick videos. Sorry if the right side of the photos are chopped off a bit. I'm still figuring out why this happens on this site. Anyway, I hope you like them!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



4 comments:

  1. Gabe! I finally found your blog - or rather, remembered to look for it. Now I'm officially "following" you. Kind of stalk-ery, but that's the lingo. I held my breath reading the posts from Noah's hospital stay, but he looks 'back to normal' in these photos from the lederhosen festival. And check you out, rockin' the local fashions!
    I'm glad we can see what's happening with you this way, and you make me want to start a blog too - for the grandparents who are not local. At least I'd have 2 readers!
    You're awesome to do it, keep the news coming... We're excited to learn what happens with the factory job, and all the other adventures you'll be having.
    Love to Noah, Yvonne and you - tell Yvonne to drop a note on Skype or FB when she has a break from translating! :) xoxo, The Connells

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica!
    Thanks for checking out the blog. I loved your "comment". Stop by to say hi anytime. I need the feedback! Yeah, Noah is back to normal. It was scary there for a while. Having a kid in the hospital is never fun. It reminded me of his stay in the NICU when he was born. Yuck. And you should do a blog. Maybe I can get all "stalk-ery" on you:) Tell the hubby we say "hello". Take Care, Gabe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE It!! Way to through yourself into the customs! What an awesome experience...Enjoy it all and live life to the fullest! Too adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Were you the only guy is white socks?

    ReplyDelete