The goal is to live in a small Austrian village with my Austrian wife and our 4 yr old while learning everything about this beautiful corner of the world. We will live on the second floor of my in-law's house in a two bedroom apartment while skipping around in flowery fields like the one on "The Sound of Music". Well, maybe not the skipping part:)



The village is called Windischgarsten. Located in the lower half of Upper Austria, it is an amazingly beautiful area of the Alps known for skiing, hiking and biking. I don't have any local friends, I haven't learned the language, and I have no idea where I'll work. This could get really interesting. No problem right?







Friday, July 30, 2010

I got a Job!

Another day has passed in our hidden valley. Yvonne's opa (grandfather) turned 81 today. We drove up the street to his house for some cafe und torte (coffee and cake). He's retired now but loves to raise chickens, grow a garden and fish the local ponds. We spent a few hours sitting around a table in his driveway laughing and eating.

Photobucket

Something else happened today too.....I got a job! I now work for a company named "Dana". They specialize in upper-end interior door manufacturing for the European market. It's not a career, it's a job; a place to make some money while learning the language. More specifically, it's a factory job. Lots of hard work. Please wish me luck. My body is more equiped for office work! Yvonne translated my interview. It's unbelievable how quickly she can switch from one language to another. I only hope I can be half as good as her someday. Thanks Yvonne!

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the job! Good luck with that...Yvonne always impressed me with her language skills! Hope this is the beginning of great things to come your way! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christie. I want the job to work out, but if my body doesn't hold up, I can always be a stay-at-home dad right?! Either way, life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the job! I would not be surprised if you quickly learn the language, love the business, buy it in ten years and rule the world of European interior doors! Bill C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bill. I'd take over the company but thought I'd balance out the universe and become the "Governator" of Upper Austria instead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gabe, you talk like you are old or something!! Trust me, you'll do fine...UNLESS your goal is to be a stay at home dad! LOL

    ReplyDelete