The goal is to live in a small Austrian village with my Austrian wife and our 4 yr old while learning everything about this beautiful corner of the world. We will live on the second floor of my in-law's house in a two bedroom apartment while skipping around in flowery fields like the one on "The Sound of Music". Well, maybe not the skipping part:)



The village is called Windischgarsten. Located in the lower half of Upper Austria, it is an amazingly beautiful area of the Alps known for skiing, hiking and biking. I don't have any local friends, I haven't learned the language, and I have no idea where I'll work. This could get really interesting. No problem right?







Monday, July 26, 2010

Around the Table in Austria

Life is normal again at the Horton flat. This is the way I like it! Family drove over and/or walked upstairs for some homemade pasta tonight. Yum...good job Yvonne. Very good. We sat around our table for probably four hours to accomplish this 10 minute task. Is sitting at a table for four hours a good thing?

Oh yeah.

There are no short get-togethers around here. You want to meet someone for coffee? How 'bout lunch or dinner? The Austrian coulture is rich in many ways, but most notably around the dining room table.

But what do you talk about for that long? The short answer is: It doesn't matter.

Just remember that it's ok to have fun without fitting in. My "german" skills are still in an infantile state. No long intelligent conversations coming from me; just listening, goofing off and drinking a few beers. What the heck, life could be worse right?

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome!!! Not knowing sometimes is OK! And you are right, it doesn't matter what you talk about. It is just great being together. Does this mean Noah is home?!? Cannot believe how old her brother looks...her mom and dad look the same! Tell them hello for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well guys, now I can start breathing again? My audio device is still out on my computer, but I can tell Noah looks happy to be back home.
    Love you all. I'm glad all is well
    Mom
    P.S. Anybody know how to install a new Media Player CD audio device which is missing from my device menu. I only do more damage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Guys!
    Well, I didn't check on your live for a week or so and it looks like I missed some excitement with Noah. Just as well as I didn't have to worry, I get to read the whole story in one sitting. Whew, so glad he's fine. Must have been really scary. Anyway, hello from California. It's super-hot (uber-hot?)here in the desert...I'd love to be there with you. Have fun..hi to all...Bill and Ace

    ReplyDelete