The goal is to live in a small Austrian village with my Austrian wife and our 4 yr old while learning everything about this beautiful corner of the world. We will live on the second floor of my in-law's house in a two bedroom apartment while skipping around in flowery fields like the one on "The Sound of Music". Well, maybe not the skipping part:)



The village is called Windischgarsten. Located in the lower half of Upper Austria, it is an amazingly beautiful area of the Alps known for skiing, hiking and biking. I don't have any local friends, I haven't learned the language, and I have no idea where I'll work. This could get really interesting. No problem right?







Monday, July 12, 2010

We have arrived!


Wow. Months of planning and we're finally here....Where is here? Windischgarsten, Austria! Population: 1500. It's a small village up in the Alps; kind of a tourist spot for cyclists, skiers and the outdoorsy type. I've been in a cubicle for a few years so this place comes to me as a treat. The great outdoors.

Here's a photo from the master bedroom balcony. There's a creek down below that'll sing you to sleep when you have jet lag!

The plane ride was typical for an oversees flight. Tons of people packed into a 747. The flight attendants were blissful and sweet for the first half, then they got tired like the rest of us. You could see it in their eyes. They just wanted to land too. I don't blame them. They have a tough job. Noah was a quiet little guy the entire trip. He absolutely loved watching the plane take off and land. Life is extra magical at three years old.

9.5 hours from LAX to Frankfurt, Germany. 3 hr layover, 1 hour flight from Frankfurt to Linz, Austria. It was a long day. By the time we left the house in California and arrived in Windischgarsten it was around a 24 hr trip. We were tired.

We bought a car within a couple hours of landing. We got it from Yvonne's cousin. It's a Silver 2001 Toyota Avensis 4 dr diesel hatchback. $5000 was a middle-ground fair price. I figure we can sell it for around $4k when we move back to the States. Or maybe we'll just keep it here for when we visit? We'll see. I like the hatchback. My bike slides into the rear with ease. No need for a bike carrier! I've never seen a 4 dr hatchback before. They're into those here. Suits me just fine. It's a diesel too. It's like driving a tractor. They say you get used to it after a month or so.

Guess what? We don't have to build out a kitchen in our apt! Suprise, suprise to us! My father-in-law built it for us before we arrived. Really cool. He also added a bedroom for Noah, a dining area, and did some other remodeling. Now we can afford another car?

A tremendous first day it was. Thanks to everybody for your emails and questions. I love hearing from you!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome Gabe! Sounds like you are about to embark on a wonderful period in your lives. I told Ace that we have to come visit you next summer and do some motorcycle riding in the Alps, if you're up for it! I'll keep watching your blog....Say hi to Yvonne and Noah for us and keep posting about your adventures! Bill (and Ace)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome here anytime Bill. There's a guy down the street who works on motorcycles out of his garage. As soon as I learn enough german I'm going to ask him for a loaner, or at least point me in the direction of a beater I can fix up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really inspiring. When You asked me what I had aspired to do the next two years, I hadn't a clue. Between Yvonne kicking my arss and you making me think, I guess it's time to get up and get moving. You've jump-started my "crazy-side" again! What a beautiful country. Tell Yvonne and Noah "hi" for me. Hello Margret and Walter! What a beautiful town you live in. Wish I could be there.
    Well Gabe and everybody, have fun and stay out of trouble! -Mom/Deni/Grandma Deni.

    ReplyDelete